Bulletin – Climate Change
In July, People in Need published the second issue of the regular bulletin Rozvojovka. Main story was the impact of climate change in Philippines and the possible mitigation strategies. We interviewed Monika Nová, co founder of health clinic in Malawi, to find out, why still so many people disbelieve “the modern medicine” and prefer to go to traditional healers. Readers could also read about, how skating in Myanmar has become one of the symbol of democracy, or about modern slavery. David Lachout from African Information Portal wrote an analysis inquiring the issue of corruption in Africa. Bulletins are sent to relevant decision makers, i.e. members of Czech national Parliament and Czech representatives in European Parliament, Ministries' officials and key development experts, scholars and NGO representatives.
Journalists from Aktuálně.cz in Iraq
In April, a journalist Martin Novák and photographer Jakub Plíhal travelled to Iraq to visit People in Need’s projects. They have published several stories, videos and photo reportages about the life in liberated Mosul
- Testimonies from Mosul (27/04/2017) https://video.aktualne.cz/ze-sveta/islamsky-stat-byl-prisny-tvrdy-reporteri-aktualnetv-mluvili/r~2392b0fc29b711e7b494002590604f2e/
- Story from the former ISIS‘s villages, (02/05/2017) https://zpravy.aktualne.cz/zahranici/stali-mi-stryce-zajali-meho-bratra-vykradli-muj-dum-reportaz/r~7e48cad22c0e11e7a4f4002590604f2e/?_ga=2.83168853.2100548358.1493723129-1735054049.1466692796
- Photo reportage from the village, where are more dogs than people (16/5/2017) https://zpravy.aktualne.cz/zahranici/foto-pomoc-cloveka-v-tisni-v-iraku/r~fd7ca01434b311e7a70b002590604f2e/
- Video: Girls at schools are singing again (22/5/2017) https://video.aktualne.cz/ze-sveta/divky-ve-skolach-uz-zase-zpivaji-pulnocni-kralovstvi-dzihadi/r~74265e2c3a1c11e790040025900fea04/?_ga=2.264764751.1754254557.1495452451-2128726996.1466600299
- Photo reportage from an ISIS’s liberated school. Children were learning to count bombs and dead (28/5/2017) https://zpravy.aktualne.cz/zahranici/foto-deti-v-irackych-skolach/r~6e8c83263c9011e7a83b0025900fea04/
Czech Tv in Philippines, Jordan, Iraq
Barbora Šámalová, Czech Tv correspondent for China visited People in Need’s Country program in Philippines. She produced several stories for the main news about the issues of poverty or urban development. She also made a short documentary “Life in Storm” about the livelihoods’ recovery after typhoon Yolanda and about People in Need’s development projects.
- Fight against poverty in Philippines (20/05/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1097181328-udalosti/217411000100520
- Philippine authorities want to relocate the poorest citizens from slums, they hinder development (20/5/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/svet/2125776-filipinske-urady-chteji-vystehovat-nejchudsi-obyvatele-ze-slumu-prekazeji-rozvoji
- Czech aid to farmers in Philippines (1/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1097181328-udalosti/217411000100601/obsah/548819-ceska-pomoc-zemedelcum-na-filipinach
- Three years after typhoon, the reconstruction continue (1/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/svet/2138709-tri-roky-po-tajfunu-pokracuje-rekonstrukce-filipin-pomaha-i-clovek-v-tisni
- Philippines: Life in Storm (24/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/10997918455-mimoradne-porady-ct24/217411034000058-filipiny-zivot-v-bouri
In May, Jakub Szántó, Czech Tv correspondent for Middle East, went to journalist trip in Jordan, where he visited Czech government’s project MEDEVAC and other humanitarian projects that help refugees in the country.
- Czech aid in war zones (9/5/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1097181328-udalosti/217411000100509/obsah/542605-ceska-pomoc-ve-valecnych-zonach
- Czech development project in Jordan (11/5/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/1097181328-udalosti/217411000100511/obsah/543048-cesky-rozvojovy-projekt-v-jordansku
In June, Jakub Szántó went to Mosul in Iraq, where he was shooting in the liberated part of the city. He produced stories about the level of destruction, captured Daesh’s prisoners, the renovation of historical sites or return of refugees to their city, which were broadcasted in the Czech Tv's main news program.
- Captured ISIS’s radical, in Iraqi prisons are hundreds of them (23/06/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/svet/2160480-zajati-radikalove-islamskeho-statu-v-irackych-veznicich-jsou-jich-stovky
- Czech Tv crew explored the destroyed historical (20/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/2158086-udalosti-stab-ct-zkoumal-znicene-pamatky-v-iraku
- Happy ending story. Yazidi girl met her family after years of separation (17/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/svet/2155170-pribeh-se-stastnym-koncem-mala-jezidka-prozila-peklo-po-letech-se-ale-znovu-setkala-s
- Iconic minaret destroyed by ISIS’f fighters (22/6/2017) http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/svet/2160300-nakloneny-minaret-v-mosulu-vzacna-pamatka-ktera-vzala-za-sve-barbarstvim-bojovniku
Study trip with politicians to Philippines
From May 28th to June 3rd, in total 5 members of parliament travelled to Philippines with People in Need. The participants were from Czech Republic, Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The goal of the joint study trip was to introduce these parliamentarians to the mechanisms of development cooperation’s implementation, monitoring, evaluation and how it should be based on country and community needs. We hope the parliamentarians developed an appreciation for the benefits of the development cooperation for their own countries, which are currently allocating their ODA primarily to middle income countries and only Czech Republic and Slovakia are the members of OECD Development Assistance Committee, which constitutes the leading international forum for bilateral providers of development co-operation.
The participants had the opportunity to visit the development projects and to meet national and international development implementers and officials in Metro Manila and in Eastern Samar. In Manila, they met with senators and congressmen and with local NGOs' representatives, they visited vice-president's office. In Eastern Samar, the parliamentarians visited the agricultural projects' of Czech caritas and People in Need. They were also welcomed by local vice-governor.